Hello everyone! It’s been a busy month. There’s a big report due next Friday that has been keeping me on my toes. I also found out that I have to go out in the field to my site quarterly instead of biannually. YAYYYY!!!!!! Environmental sampling in rural south Texas is totally a blast. This is what I tell myself, at least.
I’ve been trying to find the time to work on my craft projects to keep me sane and happy. It’s been hard lately trying to focus my attention on one craft project. There’s a long-term cross-stitch project I’ve been working on since May (sigh), and I’m trying to learn how to crochet (crochet is HARD GUYS. HARD.)
And I got a sewing machine!
I’ve been wanting to sew for a long time. My parents bought me a sewing machine when I was a kid, and I made a dress and sewed little things. But it was difficult and I wasn’t very motivated to continue learning when threading the sewing machine seemed like an enormous undertaking.
But lately I’ve been regretting not learning to sew when I was younger, so when I received an Amazon gift card as a reward from work, I used it to purchase a Brother sewing machine. I bought several sewing books and chose a simple pillow project from a Cath Kidston book. I decided to make a pillow for Boyfriend since I’m more inclined to finish a project if it’s for someone else. I also figured it was the least I could do for him, since I was dragging him along on what must have been a very boring Joann’s trip.
It had been awhile since I’d purchased fabric, so I didn’t remember that fabric is only cut length-wise. So when I gave the length and width dimensions to the Joann’s employee, she looked incredibly annoyed. In fact, she hardly acknowledged me at all throughout the interaction and when I asked her to cut one more swath of cloth, I thought she was going to murder me. Thanks for hating your life, nameless Joann’s employee!
When I returned to Joann’s a second time to purchase fabric, a (much nicer) employee explained that she could only cut the fabric length-wise. I was a little embarrassed at being such a noob, but grateful that she took the time to explain it to me.
After I compiled my materials with most of my dignity intact, it was time to begin!
Here’s how I made the first pillow. Since Boyfriend picked the fabric himself, I dubbed it the Man Pillow.
Any seamstress with maybe more than three weeks of sewing experience would have had a conniption fit with the haphazard way I was cutting the fabric.
I was quite pleased with the final result and happy that the project was so easy. Granted, the seams are horrifically crooked and it looks like my pillow is very close to getting a muffin top. But I let out a laugh of glee when I finished it. And Boyfriend likes it, so that’s all that matters.
The next pillow I made was for my brother, who challenged me to make him a girly pillow.
I decided I’d make one more pillow before attempting another project, but this one was doomed for the start. I should know better than try and complete projects while I’m tired. I cut the materials incorrectly and even after an attempt to salvage it, I realized at the VERY END OF THE PROJECT that I had pinned the fabric the incorrect way, so that the wrong side of the fabric was showing.
The back looks nice, I guess.
I decided to use it as a laptop cover. I still have a pillow that needs a pillowcase, but I think I’m done with pillowcases for now. Time to advance to the next project! :)